Census data is used in many ways. Some examples include:
- Distribution of more than $675 billion annually in federal funds back to tribal, state, and local governments.
- Redistricting of state legislative districts.
- Forecasting future transportation needs for all segments of the population.
- Determining areas eligible for housing assistance and rehabilitation loans.
- Assisting federal, tribal, state, and local governments in planning and implementing programs, services, and emergency response.
- Designing facilities for people with disabilities, the elderly, and children.